Friday, February 16, 2007

Tolkien Was A Wacky, Wacky Guy

I've started reading The Lord of the Rings. It's something I've meant to do for a long time, because I really love the movies, and I really loved the book back when I was a kid and my dad read it to me. I've just never really gotten around to it.

The idea occurred to me as I was re-watching the movies, in all their four-hour extended cut glory. I was thinking to myself, "Boromir is really, really awesome." And I basically figured that there'd be even more awesome in the books, those kinds of random character bits that they don't include in movies because they need to move things along.

More generally, I've been thinking for a while that I want to get back into the habit of reading. I used to be a real, serious reader. I used to read every night, before going to bed. But I stopped, somewhere, and I worry about that. I really enjoyed being a reader, and I need to get back into that habit.

So, a chapter a night. That's the plan. Hopefully this'll last more than a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment